Friday, March 1, 2019

It's all about the font

Fontsfonts, fonts...

In my previous post, I considered how the cover arrangement would look. However, I can't really think about what the cover will look if I don't know what the font of the masthead will be. This font will not only be in the cover, but it will also be the logo and most basic piece of branding for the magazine. For these reasons, picking the right font is no joke. Before doing any research I already had some idea of the type of font that would work with the "luxurious" look I am going for. I thought a serif, bold font would be a good choice...

And voila  my predictions seemed to be right. I found an article in an InDesign blog that literally said "all high-end magazines share one common thing - they love a beautiful serif font. It makes the [fashion] titles look elegant, timeless and luxurious." In this case, the use of the font was in reference to fashion magazines, but nonetheless, these were luxury fashion magazines. In this article, the advice given for the food magazines was to use a font that looked home-y, however, that is not what I am going for. I will not discard this advice and will actually try out the recommended font for food magazines they share to see if it may fit my image (it's a serif font so it might just work).

Below I will be trying them out to see how they look with the possible title of the magazine. I will also be trying similar fonts in both styles to see a wider range of options. Keep in mind I still do not know the colors I will be using, so I'll be trying them as white over black.

1. Berylium (recommended for food magazines by the blog)


I don't fully like this font because it has a rugged look that do give it a more "home-y" aesthetic but take away from the luxurious image a serif font can have. Not my top pick.

2. Theano Didot (Who comes up with these font names??? Honestly!) (recommended by the blog for high-end fashion magazines)


I honestly LOVE the way this font looks because the curvature of the letter looks very elegant, especially the R and the accent on the A. This is one I may seriously consider.

3. Sharpe (not from the blog, but similar style)


I also really like this font because it is elegant and have nice curves. I kind of reminds me of the Vogue typography, which is a good thing. The only thing I see is that the letters may be too close too each other but that is an easy fix on whichever program I use to edit.

4. Morva (not from the blog, but similar style)


Finally, I found this font on DaFont.comThis is unlike any serif I have seen so far because the letters are more elongated. Also, the way the R extends lower than all the other letters gives it a unique enough appearance that gives it the potential to be a logo. I will keep playing around with this font to see what other changes can be made to make it seem more like a logo but I REALLY do like this one (although there's no accents!)

This wraps up this session of looking for fonts. I looked at hundreds of fonts but these were my top picks. Perhaps I will reconsider, but for now I like these. They have that luxurious vibe I am going for and they remind me of Condé Nast magazines like Vogue, which go for that same aesthetic.

As Miranda from The Devil Wears Prada would say, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The CCR The audio gets cut off at the beginning so you can't hear me say "Hello, my name is Cristina..." Other than that, t...