Thursday, March 14, 2019

The List

Giving the TOC content

Here's the moment you have all been waiting for. The list of article names that will form the backbone of of my magazine. The content of the TOC. Here it is... (in a rough organization):
  • Editor's note
  • The New Old Fashioned
  • Ice, Ice, Baby: Guide to Ice Art
  • How to Make Crystal Clear Ice
  • Like a Virgin: Guide to Mocktails
  • Serve Champagne 5 Ways
  • 25 Garnishes Under 10 Minutes
  • 15 Boozy Desserts
  • Easy Spring Pitcher Cocktails
  • The Brunch (Drink) Menu
  • Bar Diving in Miami
  • A Drink with Alvaro Bianchi, World-class Barman
  • The Perfect Moscow Mule, Every Time
  • Mini Bar Shopping 101
  • Cocktail Chemistry with Jean Bublé
  • Flower Power, Ingenious Spring Garnishes
  • Whiskey: Art in Age
  • Florentine Gin Review
The inspiration from this titles came from looking at the titles of articles in pages like Food 52's drink section and well as magazines like Food & Wine. Observing these two sources, I stuck to genre conventions by including numbers in some of the titles like "15 boozy desserts," which indicates the article has a variety of recipes. I also included a couple of interviews with experts since food magazines may also include articles like this that are separate from recipes. There is also articles that guide shoppers and articles about bars and restaurants, which sticks to the main topic while giving variety in content. Since this is an issue special for cocktails, all articles are in some way related to cocktails. However, I made sure to include some articles that did not talk about liquor in order to appeal to a greater audience (articles about ice, decorations and non-alcoholic beverages). Finally, I made some titles references to pop culture. These are articles that are guides on how to make something, and they both reference popular song lyrics. This makes them catchy and are likely to attract the reader's attention.

Finally, I looked at several issues of magazines like Bon Apetit and Food & Wine, and figured out they have around 150 pages max. With that information in mind, I have decided to make my magazine 122 pages long.

P.S. I know that in my schedule for the week I had promised to have some planning for the shoot ready, but unfortunately I haven't gotten to that step yet. HOWEVER, I have put thought into what i want the main article of the magazine to be (and thus the cover image). I have 3 candidates as of now: 
  • The New Old Fashioned
  • Easy Spring Pitcher Cocktails
  • The Perfect Moscow Mule, Every Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

The CCR The audio gets cut off at the beginning so you can't hear me say "Hello, my name is Cristina..." Other than that, t...