Friday, March 22, 2019

THE TOC

I think.

As promised on my last post, I worked on the TOC and added the missing pieces. I kept the general layout I had planned and simply added the list of articles I had drafted. There were some slight changes to the names of the articles and I also decided to bring my magazine up to 126 pages because I needed to fit one more article. Let's take a look at it.


Isn't she a beauty? 
Anyway, let's break it down like we did with the cover. First, let me address the changes I made to the original draft. I added the name of the magazine as a header on the left hand corner to give a better idea of the brand identity through every page. Plus, it is something I have seen in some magazines such as this one I picked up on Barnes and Noble recently. 


This magazine is within my genre of high class magazines, so it fits the conventions. I also changed the color of the "What's inside?" to match the color of the raspberries in the main picture and continue to be cohesive with playing with pink hues (as seen in the page numbers). Another change I had to make was changing the font and font size for the author names. When I first drafted the magazine TOC, I thought using the same font for everything on the TOC would be a good idea, but I was wrong. Here is how it looked:


I felt like using the same font looked too over powering and took away from the minimalistic feel of the magazine. Something needed to change, so I decided to change the author names (since they are not nearly as important as the article names) and make them smaller and sans serif. This change quickly took the TOC to where I wanted to be: minimalistic and easy on the eyes. It also draws more attention to the article names which are the central focus of the TOC.
Those were all the changes I made to the TOC. I kept the rest as I had it and only adjusted page numbers and added the pictures. I am really happy with the way in turned out and I think the pictures fit well together as they vary from pictures taken indoors and outdoors. The colors also fit well as there is contrast between them. 
P.S. As you may or may not have noticed by now, the middle picture, the one of the bar, hasn't changed. That's because I am waiting to find a restaurant with a nice bar in order to take a picture of it. Once I do that, the TOC will officially be completed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The CCR The audio gets cut off at the beginning so you can't hear me say "Hello, my name is Cristina..." Other than that, t...