Saturday, March 9, 2019

The TOC

Unofficial, of course

I think I have a pretty solid idea of what my TOC will look like. Like the cover, I designed it on Adobe Illustrator and put pictures as placeholders. The thing I am the proudest of about the TOC is the font I found to use. I wanted to be cohesive and continue to use a serif font, but I didn't want to use the same one as the cover. I began to look for fonts and I found THE beauty. The one. The prettiest, classiest serif font I have seen. I mean, this font had me like: 


Without further ado, I present to you the font for the TOC: Bodoni 72 Smallcaps Book (honestly what is it with these font names??). 
Tell me if the curvature of those numbers isn't just incredible? Wait until you see how it looks on the page... Anyway, after finding THE font, I went ahead and did a mock up of the TOC I wanted to imitate, the one that had the four columns. After that, I realized there wasn't much room for many articles, so I decided to shrink the size of the collage and add two more columns on the next page. I didn't want to take out the pictures from the table of contents because I felt like it would deviate from the genre conventions of a food magazine, that usually give a snippet of pictures of the recipes and articles you will find inside. This is crucial for a food magazine because food is an experience that involves all senses, and its visual appeal is one of the major factors that makes food attractive.

The other day in class, I had a chance to share my ideas for the design of the TOC with some peers, and some of them suggested I make the page numbers or the names of the articles a different color so they stand out. As a result, I have two versions of the TOC I designed in Illustrator, and, like the cover, I will wait until I have the pictures to see which version looks better and if any adjustments need to be made. Here are the two versions:



Again, these are minor details I will have to sort out later. Until next time!

P.S I really like the white quarter of a circle in the first picture even though its a place holder... I might have to recreate that... but it makes a nice place to put a page number. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The CCR The audio gets cut off at the beginning so you can't hear me say "Hello, my name is Cristina..." Other than that, t...